|Atworth Jubilee Clock Tower|
|The Clock Tower (or Jubilee Clock Tower as it is
perhaps more correctly called) is quite possibly Atworth's most famous landmark.
It was built to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria following a public appeal launched in July of 1897. The names of the original subscribers to the appeal are recorded in the archives of the Parish. The cost of the original building was between £80 and £100.
It is reported that the tower was fitted with a flagpole, but that was subsequently replaced with a weathervane.
During the last century the tower bearing the clock has had added to it two marble plaques: the one on the north wall carrying the names of those of Atworth who served in the Great War 1914-1918 whilst the one on the west wall records those who served in World War II 1939-1945.
At the end of the last Millennium, the tower and its clock were restored to their former glory, and the east and west clock faces were fitted with lighting to illuminate the clock during the hours of darkness.
The Clock Tower stands 26 metres high to the top of the weather vane.
|The clock mechanism is dated 1897, and bears the name of the
manufacturer: Niehus Brothers, Bristol.
It has stood the test of time extremely well, and after its refurbishment in 1999 looks as pristine as the day it was put into the tower.
In extremely cold weather the Clock has been known to become a victim of icing and may stop.
For any kind of alert in regard to Atworth Clock Tower, please telephone the Keeper in Charge, Mr Steve Clark, on 01225 702404. Steve Clark also winds the clock.
[Acknowledgements are due to Richard Bill, Joan Cocozza, Steve Clark, and Lynne Spencer for information and images]
Back to first page [20111201